Welcome to JYOSYOJI TEMPLE

English Site

History of Jyosyoji

 

The head temple Jyosyoji of the Shinshu Jyosyoji sect, is commonly known as Sabae head temple. The city of Sabae, where it is located, prospered as Jyosyoji Temple territory and as a town built around the temple. The origin of Jyosyoji Temple dates back to 1207, when Shinran Shonin was exiled to Echigo and stayed on the land at the residence of Hatano Kageyuki, the head of a powerful family in Uwanogahara. It is said that this was the start of the teaching of the essential laws of Amida Buddha's original vow. 
Kageyuki became a nenbutsu devotee by listening to the teachings of Buddha together with his family, and that he was ordained as a priest and called Kunen. Later, the site of his residence became the Kuruma no-Dojo, a place for listening to the teachings of Buddha. 
The founder of Jyosyoji Temple was Shonin Nyokaku, who initially received the temple name of "Shinshoji Temple" from Emperor Go-Nijo, and in 1437, during the reign of the 7th Shuo Shonin, Emperor Go-Hanazono once again bestowed the new temple name of "Jyosyoji Temple." 
In the late 1500's, the temple was destroyed in a fight with the Echizen Ikkō-ikki, as well as burned down by Hideyoshi's military fire. The temple also suffered considerable damage in a head temple dispute with Joraku-ji and other temples in response to the temple law during the early Edo period (1603-1868). Later, the Jyosyoji religious organization was restored through the faith of the 15th Shonin Syu Kan, who is known as the "Chuko-shonin," and his recommendation of Embudangon Tebiki Amida Nyorai as the principal object of worship. Today, as the head temple of the Jyosyoji sect of Shinshu Buddhism, the temple is a focal point for Shinshu followers and continues to be an active central part of Sabae City through various events, including the Makoto Market. 

In1207,Shinran Shonin was exiled to Echigo and stayed on the land at the residence of Hatano Kageyuki, the head of a powerful family in Uwanogahara. 

The Jyosyoji religious organization was restored through the faith of the 15th Shonin Syu Kan, who is known as the "Chuko-shonin,"

 Annual Schedule 

March 18 - 24,  
Spring equinoctial week Buddhist memorial service 
April 9, 
Kuruma no-Dojo Spring Buddhist memorial service 
June 18-19, 
Wheat visit Buddhist memorial service (The anniversary of the death of Nyokaku Shonin) 
August 14 - 15, 
Bon Festival 
August 16, 
Kuruma no-Dojo Bon Buddhist memorial service 
August 18 - 19, 
Bon Festival of the Sogetsu sect 
September 20 - 26, 
Autumn equinoctial week Buddhist memorial service 
November 9, 
Kuruma no-Dojo Hoonko 
November 21 - 28, 
Goshoki Hoonko 
December 5 - 6, 
Ohimo osame (The anniversary of the death of Shukan Shonin) 

Map of Jyosyoji

1) 阿弥陀堂

Amida Hall 

(Sabae City Designated Cultural Property) 

Amida Hall was rebuilt in 1887(20th year of the Meiji period). The main deity of the temple is Amida Nyorai, and the doors are opened on August 15 every year to commemorate the anniversary of its entry. The palace was built in 1753. The wooden statue of Shotoku Taishi and statue of Honen Shonin are enshrined in the side chapels, and the statue of Ryuju, Tenjin, Donran, Doshaku, Zendo, and Genshin are enshrined in the living room. 

2) 御影堂

Goei Hall 

(Sabae City Designated Cultural Property) 

Goei Hall was rebuilt in 1877(10th year of the Meiji period). It is one of the largest wooden structures in Fukui Prefecture, with a 20-ken, 4-sided, all-zelkova gabled roof. In the center of the inner sanctuary, there is a wooden statue of Shinran Shonin, statues of the successive high priests of the temple, and the nine character (Namu Fukashigiko Nyorai) and ten character (Kimyo Jinjitsupo Mugeko Nyorai) Buddha names hung on both sides of the sanctuary. 



3) 四足門

Four Pillar Temple Gate 

(Fukui Prefecture Designated Cultural Property) The Four Pillar Temple Gate was rebuilt in 1779(8th year of the Anei period). It was originally built in 1466(First year of the Bunsho period) during the time of the 7th Shuo Shonin, under the authorization of Emperor Go-Tsuchimikado. The current four-pillar temple gate, also known as the "Bird-dwelling gate," is said to have been carved by Jingoro Hidari. 



4) 鐘楼堂

Bell Tower Hall 

(Sabae City Designated Cultural Property) The Bell Tower Hall was rebuilt in 1846(3rd year of the Koka period). It was built with the best architectural techniques of the time. 

The Ogane(large bell) was cast in 1756(6th year of the Horeki period) by the Osaka metallurgical worker Otani Sagamijyo Fujiwara Masatsugu, and even during World War II, the famous bell, was spared from being offered up as an associate national treasure, and has been handed down to the present day. 

 



 

Access 

 3-2-38, Honmachi, Sabae, Fukui, 916-0026 TEL: +81-778-54-0001